Okay, it’s been about a week. Dang, it has been a week! There have been so many things I’ve wanted to blog about but finding the time to actually do it has been my challenge. I haven’t even turned on my computer at home all week.
Alright, where do I begin? The weekend was fabulous because I didn’t have any commitments. Well, I did on Sunday but we’re not there yet. Friday and Saturday were spent running, sleeping and relaxing. It was a slight release from the “captivity of activity” I’ve felt like.
Sunday was an organized “Faith in Action Day.” Churches around San Diego either canceled or postponed (for the dedicated or legalistic) their services on Sunday morning and instead did projects around the community. My church doesn’t believe in service so they didn’t participate (just kidding, they did theirs on a Saturday and I wasn’t in town). So I went with David and Marisela to their service project, an elementary school a few minutes away. As we were driving to the store to pick up ice (it was VERY hot and I believe the Lord wanted to see if we served with joyful hearts), this boy and his mom were on the side of the street picking up trash. David yelled, “Faith in Action!” I claimed it was either punishment, an attempt to get another badge on his Boy Scout vest, or he was simply trying to help his mom find some recycling so they could afford a drop of gas to get him to Boomers. None the less, it was funny. Everything became “Faith in Action!” Maya and Peter joined us and we cleared trees and trash for about four hours in the nice sun and it actually was pretty fun. We headed home and had lunch ready (thank God for slow cookers) and decided to watch The Last Samurai. I had never seen all of it and since I now love everything Japanese, I was game. I knew Marisela wouldn’t care because she can never stay awake for a movie and Peter was already passed out on the couch. Soon into the movie I realized David and I were the only ones awake. Once the movie was over we decided we would watch another. I was glad because unlike my gamer friends, I have to been in a certain mood for games. We couldn’t decide if we would go with an Asian themed film festival or keep the Tom Cruise theme going. I was up for Top Gun but I also endorsed Kung Fu Hustle. Kung Fu Hustle won but I don’t think they thought it was as funny as I did.
Anyway, I’ve been reading a lot and learning a lot. I’ve been convicted a lot and had a lot of encouragement too. Maybe I can get some of those thoughts down later, but for now I have the friendship calendar: “Friendship is never established as an understood relation. It is a miracle which requires constant proofs. It is an exercise of the purest imagination and of the rarest faith!” - Henry David Thoreau
As Maya said, “Leave it to a philosopher.” But to my friends, thank you for the phone calls, the lunch dates and even the attempt to spend time with me. AND thanks for letting me in on some secret and not so secret blogs :)
No comments:
Post a Comment