Tuesday, April 08, 2008

My Papa was a Bracero


My Papa was born in Chiapas, Mexico. He made his way from the southern part of Mexico to the United States through the Bracero program, to work the fields of the U.S. He worked hard and his tough Mayan-Mexican skin was proof of the long hours spent picking. When I was a kid, growing up in Piru, there were pickers everywhere and we would make fun of the men living in the campitos. As I think about it, that's where my family came from. We celebrate Cesar Chavez Month at UCSD and I think some people laugh at it. I've probably made light of it too, but truth is he was a great man whose contributions to human rights has made it possible for my family to survive. So, I'm thankful for Chavez, those who work(ed) the fields, and my grandparents for everything they didn't have and worked so hard to give us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

viva la raza! viva la revolucion! viva la familia! viva la fe!