Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mi Familia

The 19th was Robbie's birthday. He's a fantastic brother...for the most part. He can make anyone laugh and even though we fought a lot as kids, I've always been really protective of him. I'm thankful for the relationship I have with him now as adults because I think it's pretty special. Happy birthday Bubbalito!

My papa Bud's birthday would've been on the 18th. He was mean to everyone but me and the whole family knew he would do anything for me. He was an inspiration to go to college and pursue my educational goals. He's also a huge reason I'm applying to doctorate programs. He always believed in me and encouraged me. I was his princess and he always took care of me. During my freshman year of high school I pretty much lived with him and my Granny. He would wake me up every morning for school, have breakfast ready and would get me out the door on time. My papa never boasted about being a fighter pilot in WWII and we always knew about his love for P-38s, but after his passing I learned so much more about him. I wish I would've made him tell me his stories because after reading some stories about him, I learned he was a bad ass ace. I miss my papa.


January 10th would have been my nana's birthday. She was a very strong, feisty woman and my family always tells me I not only look like her when she was young but I act like her. Sometimes I'm proud of that, she was a hardworking woman who sacrificed a lot for her family. She always was willing to help friends and even people she didn't know. I remember a lot of farm workers and field workers coming to our house to have her help with bills, addressing mail, etc. Sometimes I'm not so proud. She could be so mean to the people closest to her and I see those tendencies in myself also. She was the one who nicknamed me fea (spanish for ugly) and often pointed out all of the negative aspects of myself. But she also was my stability in a very unstable home life. I shared a bedroom with her and my dad for a few years and after our house fell in the Northridge earthquake, we rented a house down the street and her and I shared a room again until our house was rebuilt. With the good and the bad, she was my nana for 16 years and I loved her so much.

No comments: