In May of 2007, I sat in Cottage Hospital crying my eyes out. I was in pain but more than anything I was scared. Before seeing the rheumatology specialist I had seen my primary care doctor for a pain in my shoulder and my hands. The pain had gotten so bad I could no longer grip a toothbrush and it hurt to sit, lie down, and sometimes even walk. I had already been told, “we think you have lupus” and “there’s no cure.” The doctor also said, “you could die.” I didn’t want to be alone in that moment but I was. I had gone to the doctor not thinking I would get news like this. My mom had a feeling it wasn’t going to be good news and later told me she didn’t want to say anything to scare me, but the sudden color change in my fingertips when I got cold and the wads of hair in the shower caught her attention. I had just completed a full marathon and was closing in on a 40-pound weight loss. How could this happen? Why me and why now? But in the hospital I was also crying my eyes out because I had been handed a booklet and told, “Read this.” I wish I still had it because it was seriously like a REALLY bad tract street evangelists hand out, the kind that literally scare the hell out of you. In it was listed all of the things I may never get to do and even now as I think about that list I can’t help but cry.
I finally saw my doctors yesterday, after a year with no insurance. New symptoms are appearing and I’m feeling exhausted lately. After talking to my rheumatologist about some of these things he decided to test me for Sjögren’s (pronounced showgrins) syndrome, a disease where the immune system attacks the body’s moisture producing glands. People with lupus can also have secondary Sjögren’s and I guess I’ll know in a week if I do too. My ophthalmologist also wants to put plugs in my tear ducts in order to produce more moisture and avoid any long-term damages that could result. It seems kind of weird to have plugs in my eyes and I don’t know if I’ll still be able to cry, but I’ve been told it will make me more comfortable and nobody will be able to tell. I’m still considering it. I honestly left the doctor’s office feeling pretty bummed, mad, and sad.
I don’t want to be “chronically ill” and I don’t want others to think of me as “the sick girl.” I know most people wouldn’t think of me as being weak or sick (jiu jitsu and boxing aren’t hobbies for the weak and sick) but in my head I have a lot of negative things going on. When I first was diagnosed I had a conversation with my friend JC about some of the things I was afraid I would never be able to do, I’m still afraid of that list. I know I’m not the one to say what is fair and what isn’t, but this feels pretty unfair sometimes. Part of it is my craziness, feeling like I have to have it all together, be strong, independent. I need to admit to myself first that I can’t take this on all on my own; I need to surrender to the Lord. I also need some encouragement and I feel funny asking for it, but if you feel led, please leave me a note or email me. I know it would help.
10 comments:
I've stared at the comment screen for about ten minutes now trying to think of words. I still don't have the right words. Just know that you're loved and appreciated by all sorts of people. Even your Auntie Ang :)
Your still strong enough to kick my butt.
I know that life like this can be hard. I know you know that God is all. Mark 4:35-41... This passage reminds me to seek Christ... to find him in my life, in my circumstances, in my trials. In the passage, during a time of fear, the disciples go to JC who is sleeping in the boat and ask him to fix the problem. Change the storm. He does so. But rebukes them for lack of faith. In this time of trial they didn't seek where Christ was and follow his faith to/in the Father.
We love you. God Loves you. He has used you to change the lives of many and will continue to use you.
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.
I hope you hear my heart. You are my sister. You are in my families Heart. We love you. Any time call, come over, email. Anything you need!
Lady...I'm not one for words. I'm more of the type to "be there" and "do things" to show love and support... I just want to tell you that the few times I've gotten to spend time with and talk to you...weak, ill or sick are the furthest things on my mind!
You are a strong, beautiful, smart, educated, loving, kindhearted and honest person...
You posting this blog today only speaks to those amazing attributes you have. I know, and I hope you know that "alone" is the last thing you are!! You are surrounded by people that love you, support you, respect you and admire you Ally!!
I know I do!!
xoxo, Cari
"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart; I have overcome the world." John 16:33
I love you Alyssa. I'm praying for you and I'm proud of you for admitting where you're at for being vulnerable.
Lupus sucks. I'm sorry that you have to deal with it and I'm sorry for your pain and for the fear you deal with.
I really look up to you and I pray that God would hold you and comfort you in this hard time.
He is good, all the time.
I love you a whole boat load, Dingus.
Aaaaand, Bryan Adams eez uhmaaaazing!
If this is an attempt to get me to go easier on you at Scrabble...forget it.
Praying for you tonight, and thankful for your honesty in the post.
Obviously, if you ever need anything just holla.
You rock. Move to the LBC already.
I had no idea you were going through this Alyssa! I'm sorry that I haven't taken the time to really ask you how you're doing in the last few years. I can't imagine how difficult it must be on you physically, as well as mentally, and emotionally. It pains me to hear that you're having to deal with this, but I am so glad I now know, because I want to be praying for you. Thanks for being vulnerable, and real with what's going on. I am so thankful to God that you have an active relationship with him, because I know that his love for you is the only thing adequate to be able to live the life he intends for you. I am confident in God's plans for you, and I'll be praying that he gives you strength and courage, and brings healing to your body. You are very dear to my heart sister. I'll be praying for you.
To my special little girl. You are not alone. Every step you take in life God takes with you. You have many people in your life who love, and pray for you everyday. Sometimes we get over whelmed with things that happen but you will still have so many rainbows in your life. I very love you Mom
I've loved you & known you long enough to know that there is nothing you can't do. You are super woman in my book! If there is anything you want to do & can't, it's not because Lupus doesn't allow you to do it, it's because God doesn't want you to do it. He gave you your disease & there is a purpose in that. I often feel deformed & freakish because I can't carry a baby full term. I blame myself for Landon being the way he is & I tell myself that it's because of my stupid body that his entire life has been a challenge. Then I remember that God made every detail of my body... even the part where my defective cervix can't hold up under the weight of pregnancy & my uterus is irritable & wants to kick out babies too soon. I'm sorry I am rambling, but my point is that when God says he made every intricate detail of you, he meant it. And that means your Lupus too. Somehow, some way you must learn to embrace that.
I think I owe you an apology. I feel like I ended my comment last night sounding somewhat like a lecture, which was not how I meant to sound.
I love your transparency on this site, Lyss. Thank you.
your honesty and vulnerability is BEAUTIFUL. and you inspire me daily. it's weird because you've been on my heart and i've so been meaning to mail you something. i need your address though :) what is it?
know that God is using you, right here, right now.
"be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord" - psalm 31:24
i love you friend! we should go to applebee's sometime soon :)
Post a Comment