
I went to a different church on Sunday and so many people came to mind throughout my visit. I thought of my Joshua-ites from 2003 as one of the welcome team members spoke about their unbelief in infant baptism. I could hear Heather laughing, Marisa saying something along the lines of her sarcastic, elongated, "suuuurrree." I thought of Sarah screaming the word infant baptism right along with the words she yelled after seeing what the deputies did to her room. I'll censor her for my reader's sake but trust me, it was hilarious. I thought of Wes as I'm sure he'd appreciate this "big C" church but he definitely wouldn't fit in with all the Asians. As much as I thought about all these other people, I also thought about what was being preached and what God had brought me to this church for on that morning. I was afraid I wouldn't fit in (it is a predominantly Korean church) and begged AJ (it's his home church) not to leave me alone in awkward situations. He was great, took care of me, and guess what? The people were nice. I'm semi kidding, I just didn't know what to expect. Since church I've been thinking about how most churches have been so dependent on a format of preaching that includes 3 points, lots of alliteration and irrelevant Internet feel good stories. This wasn't what I got at church on Sunday and it was good to have something different. I also thought about the people I met and the lack of relationships in my own church. That can be another post.
After church we came to my house to put dinner in the crock pot and then headed to Balboa Park for "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." I also really wanted a Christmas tree for my apartment but decided to put gas in my car instead of buying a tree. AJ knew how bummed I was so he surprised me with the tree I wanted and we even decorated it. It's small but mighty and beautiful. I love my tree and looking at it every night. It makes me feel like I really am at home in my apartment.
AJ, thank you for being incredibly thoughtful. I always have fun when I'm with you.
1 comment:
YESSSSSS! You'll be pleased to know that I still have an affinity for screaming inappropriate things. Oh man oh man.
I sure miss you a lot!!
Shoot.
Post a Comment