Friday, December 04, 2009

Recent Readings

I've been reading Francis Chan's latest, Forgotten God. I'm almost done with it but I kinda don't want to be. I might just re-read it as soon as I'm done because I'm sure there is so much I'm still missing out on. Every time I pick it up I have a wide range of thoughts and emotions. I'm often convicted and incredibly thankful for the Holy Spirit dwelling IN me. It's had me thinking a lot about the ways I express my creator.

I've recently been bogged down by what I've been calling rejection. Not getting the right job, not being in a committed relationship, not making friends at church, etc. I know there's a lot of fear wrapped up in this and a lot of ungratefulness. I read this last night and started to put things in perspective:

We often choose to face life's issues and circumstances in exactly the same way as someone without the Spirit of God. We worry, strive, and grieve no differently than unbelievers. While it is true that we are humans like everyone else, it is also true that we are humans with the Spirit of God dwelling in us. Yet, whether consciously or not, we essentially say to God, 'I know You raised Christ from the dead; but the fact is my problems are just too much for You and I need to deal with them by myself.

The facts are, I am a born again Christian and I have the Holy Spirit residing in me. He is infinitely great, all powerful, and waiting for me to come to Him with these things that burden me. I've decided instead of complaining to anyone who will listen, I'm going to Him with it. And I invite my brothers and sisters to call me out when I'm not doing this. Help me be a woman of my word :)

No comments: