Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Wise at age 11

My brother JD has had a rough year of life. I wish no kid had to experience the things he has but I've had no control over the events in his life. His dad brings disappointment, his family brings embarrassment and now he has to think about the possibility of moving out of the house he's called home forever. That's a lot for an 11 year old. I remember being in his shoes and I hated it. An 11 year old wasn't supposed to do the cooking, cleaning and put themselves to bed. At least none of my other friends were doing that. I wish I could take away the pain, confusion and uncertainty he must be feeling. On the other hand, the kid has his act together. I've never heard such wisdom from someone and it was so simple. He brought tears to my eyes and made me think, really think about friends.

I've been so completely hurt lately by people. I don't even know if they know how deeply they've hurt me because they shrug it off like nothing. JD said, "Friends don't treat you that way and they don't make you feel that way. Why do you call her a friend?" Great question kid. I guess I don't call her friend.

Tidwell and Rachel came to visit from Sonora and that was great fun. We did Korean BBQ and Diddy Riese, yum. Last night I had a great game of "Ninja Burger" with Ryan and Danny. Maya, you would like this game. Hopefully we can play some "Settlers" when I come down...I need it! Heather, I'll call. That's it for my shout outs now. I'm off to "hell-mart" as we've coined it.

2 comments:

maya said...

oh yes, that kid is something else. no wonder the LORD himself reveres kids as much as He does... they gotta the common sense (what some call the God in them) that adults try to push aside to justify there actions.

that said, there is nothing in the blog of the mention of the chickening out. but i still love you. i'm going to go do my calls before i chicken out :)

stacey said...

Alyssa...

I'm angry you didn't come to visit at camp...

You better be at the Ashdown-Shilling wedding!