Today I was at the counseling center and noticed they failed to put the M.A. after my name on my name plate. It really bothered me and I had to stop for a minute and evaluate why. I think part of it is because others have their M.A. proudly stamped on their name plates and I want to show my degree off too. Part of it is because I've doubted so much that I'm capable and deserving to be where I am and get to the end goal. I then came home to an email from another grad student regarding grades and I had a realization; my clients won't know if I had a 4.0 or a 3.5. They won't know I got a B+ in stats but aced my psychopathology final. They won't care if I was the best of the best in my program. What they will care about is if I'm helpful and capable of walking through crap with them.
I had a moment tonight at church where I was able to talk to a student who is in a lot of pain. As I sat there with them I thought, you are a horrible counselor and you don't have the right words. As soon as those thoughts came to mind I also was reminded of what our group had just been talking about, blessings. I might not have had the exact words she needed to hear but I think tonight was a blessing.
I'm continually humbled by God, by the ways in which He works for His glory and allows me to join in on it. I'm blessed by the communities at church and at school.
No comments:
Post a Comment