Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Sleepless Hangover Weekend

Inappropriate and hilarious. Just the way I like it.

I had a great weekend.  It was tiring and not extra ordinary but so refreshing at the same time.  I headed to Long Beach on Friday to catch the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) World Championships at CSULB.  A teammate was competing in the juvenile division and we were all pretty sure she would win.  She's only 17 and now the BJJ Female Juvenile Lightweight World Champion.  I couldn't think of a young lady more deserving either.  Liz is one of the sweetest high school girls I've ever met and she trains so hard.  She has 8 brothers and sisters and the entire family (excluding mom) trains in BJJ.  They're definitely a huge part of what makes my gym so great.  She's already a stick figure and cut 12 pounds for this competition so we celebrated by digging into chocolate cake right after her fight.  It was funny to watch people looking at her as she walked around with an entire cake and fork in her hands.  

After watching a few additional fights I cruised over to First Baptist Lakewood where my friend Trent is the Middle School Pastor.  They were having a grad night all nighter and I willingly volunteered to stay up for over 26 hours.  I haven't been around middle school ministry for a few years now.  Actually, I haven't been around a whole lot of ministry in a few years.  Since leaving RP I haven't been too plugged in at any church and only recently decided to make Rock Church my church here in SD.  It was tiring and there were little tiffs after 4 am when kids were exhausted, but it was refreshing to be around.  I got to talk with one 8th grader who heard the Gospel and decided she wanted salvation.  It was a great reminder of my purpose, my gifts, and what I really love doing.  

After a few hours of sleep I had the chance to hang in Long Beach and just enjoy being with my friend.  I admit, moving to Long Beach seems like such a great alternative for me right now.  I haven't been to the movies is a long time, I can't even remember what I last saw in the theater.  I had the chance to see The Hangover and all I really knew was that Robbie really wants to see it.  I knew it would probably be inappropriate if Robbie was that eager to see it, but I figured it would also be funny.  It didn't disappoint either.  With only a few uncomfortable shots, I laughed through the movie and would see it again with the right group of people.  

My sleep schedule is way off now but it was all worth it.  I valued every moment in the LBC.  

2 comments:

aca said...

there are images i need permanently erased from my mind. however...the line about fat jesus...holy crap. hilarious.

Shannon said...

You should move to Long Beach! That would be great!