Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Morning Conversation

I've been doing skills testing all week on candidates for the Coordinator position. Some have been late, completely odd, and unprofessional, but some have been nice and capable. Today’s candidate, while trying to sound encouraging and chipper, completely rubbed me the wrong way. Here’s how our conversation went:

Her: So, how many people did you call for this job?
Me: A group. I have to admit I was a little surprised by the number of people still looking for a job since applying in March.
Her: Yeah, but the market is starting to pick up. This last month has finally started moving for me.
Me: That’s great to hear. I was starting to get a bit worried since I’m leaving here in August.
Her: Oh, would I be filling your position?
Me: Yeah. I was a student employee but they hired me on as a temp for the summer.
Her: That’s great. Will you go back to being a state student in the fall?
Me: No, I just graduated. I’m looking for jobs now too so it’s nice to hear you’re getting interviews.
Her: Well, congratulations. I’m sure you’ll have a much easier time. People like to hire new graduates because they come out eager and fresh. They like helping people start their careers.
Me: Yeah, well, I was a graduate student here. I just finished my masters so I’m pretty sure I know what I want to do and what they should give me to do it.
Her: Oh. You aren’t new then [fake smile].
Me: Well, here are your tests. You have an hour and a half.
Me [in my head]: Thanks for thinking I look young. By the way, you’re a total brat.

1 comment:

Trent Lewis said...

this made me laugh