Wednesday, December 22, 2004

I'm sure

I'm sure you've all been checking back in with anticipation and have left with disappointment because I haven't updated the site in a while. Things have been super busy and I've been running and I'll continue to go until the new year. We had our leadership retreat as I've mentioned and then last weekend I went along with our high schoolers to winter camp. Christmas is this weekend and then I'm off to Hume Lake for our staff retreat! Whew, so much going on.

Winter camp was good. I went without a job really so Saturday I felt pretty useless. I wasn't leading a small group, the students don't really know me and I haven't had the chance to get to know staff. It was a powerful weekend though and there were many genuine decisions made. On Sunday I didn't feel so useless. God really showed me the ways He was using me even though I had no idea. I was able to build some great new relationships with our volunteers and I can actually put names to faces. I know so many more students too. I think the coolest thing for me was on Sunday afternoon a staff girl came up to me and we had a conversation about her attitude about me. It wasn't easy to hear and I'm sure it was hard for her to say it was her deal. But we worked through those issues and I know God is going to use that a whole lot in this ministry. The other fabulous thing that happened was on Sunday night when we were worshipping through music, this student I had just met was weeping so hard on the opposite side of the room and I felt drawn to her. The next thing I knew I was holding her in my arms as she cried and I didn't even say anything to her, I just held her. It did something to me too. I stepped out of my boundaries, my comfort zone was expanded a million times bigger from that little act. It was so cool for me though. I was able to pray for her and whisper in her ear how much God loves her. Ah, so cool! As I drove the van with students home from camp it was different than other times I've been with a youth group at camp. It didn't feel like a camp high or something special about the weekend (even though it was so special). It felt like life change had happened on the mountain but it wasn't staying there.

No comments: