Sunday, April 04, 2010

Book Review 2 - How to get a Date Worth Keeping

During my interview at Rosemead, Professor Straus mentioned Doctors Cloud and Townsend, Rosemead grads that were very successful authors, life coaches, and happened to do a lot of work surrounding relationships. He didn't tell me about these guys because he thought I needed to read their books (at least I hope that's not why he told me about them), it happened naturally and made sense in the context of our conversation/interview. Anyway, as I was talking about these guys with a friend she mentioned she had a book by Dr. Cloud. I took it, interested in the topic and always entertained by the way Christians approach dating.

I've heard Christian speakers suggest you make a list of qualities you'd like in a spouse. At a camp I once worked at, we were encouraged to give an unedited list to a trusted brother or sister and pray over the list. Sarah, sorry I gave you my list! Ask my close girlfriends and they know about the list. They might not be able to tell you everything on the list because some of it I've kept secret but the list is exhaustive. This book told me one thing: GET RID OF THE LIST! Because the author made some very good arguments for writing this, I listened and continued to read. The thing I really enjoyed about this book wasn't really the dating tips (although, there were some funny quotes), it was the theory behind dating. I think it's true that you learn so much about yourself in the process of rejection, acceptance, love, and yes, flirting. I appreciated that the book didn't take the hard nose, "I kissed dating goodbye" approach and I noticed myself more willing to be open. Even though I haven't put many of his steps into action, I did get rid of the list. He managed to open me up a little to doing things in a different way and while it's hard, awkward, and scary, I think it's making me think in healthier ways.

Overall grade: A

Anyone have any good/bad/ugly dating stories?

No comments: