Wednesday, August 19, 2009

No Shame in my Game

I filed for unemployment today. I normally would be embarrassed to say something like that, especially since I have a freshly printed MA on my wall. But times are hard and I can't help that my department ran out of money to pay me. So I'm trying to take advantage of all the social services I've paid into for over 10 years and am hoping I get hooked up with a full time job with benefits soon. I applied to a job I really want and it's here in San Diego so I wouldn't have to move. It's an intense application process but I can endure the heat for this job. I take it as their way of weeding out those who aren't serious about the position.

Before my last day at the old job the boss asked me for my phone number. I "forgot" to give it to her because I know the type of person she is and she would be calling me everyday for every little thing. I've already received at least 3 emails a day from her office asking me about things they could figure out on their own. So I got another email today asking for my phone number and decided I would just call the office and not send it. Too bad I forgot the number pops us...should've blocked it! Doh. Turns out the boss wants to pay me out of her own pocket for the next 2 days. I almost said no because it seriously ruined my plans to work out and lay on the beach reading Harry Potter. But I figured if I didn't take it, I couldn't complain later and complaining is a specialty of mine so I took the offer. It isn't much money but it's only a few hours of work. The beach will have to wait until next week.

No comments: