Wednesday, November 05, 2008

"Voted for hope instead of out of fear"

It's been an interesting day. I want to quit my job...nothing new there. Found out I will lose my job in December. Awesome, I just found a new apartment on my own. Turned in my literature review so a big chunk of my research class is moving a long well. I studied for hours with classmates who continued to check the voting reports and made studying move slowly.

When Obama was announced as president elect they all rejoiced, high fives and yelps were let out in the library. I voted for Obama. Never before had I voted for a Democrat. I don't think he'll be the instant change some people have disillusioned themselves with but I do think he'll be great. We went to dinner after studying and that was an interesting experience. A Filipina, Vietnamese, African, and three Mexican-Americans all sitting in Chili's watching the results roll in. We didn't get served, we had napkins thrown at us and our food was cold. Hmmm... It was also hard to remain neutral while watching and hearing the reactions from my three gay classmates on prop 8. Anyway, as we were heading back to campus to get our cars the cops pulled up next to us. He made us roll down our windows so he could see in and then said Maria had done something wrong and not to do it again. The car next to us rolled down their windows and yelled f-ing pigs. It was pretty funny actually. Mostly because I think those guys were high. So I'm trying to stay awake and hear more about the results but I think I'm going to head to bed. I know a lot of conservatives and Christians who are paranoid about these elections. I hear and see Bible verses all over supporting their opinions. I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I do know I'm pissed that my little brother is scared out of his mind right now about the end of the world because people have told him that if Obama wins it's the end of the world and we're all gonna die. Really? You know that? Because the last time I read the Bible, only the Father knew when that time was coming.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Someone at school told Jack something similiar...really frustrating...we don't really talk about politics and he shouldn't have an opinion one way or another, but now he laid awake afraid Obama was going to win. What a bummer. This could have been an exciting day for him finding out who the new president was, instead Darin and I had to try to alleviate fears...crazy ones that have no merit. :P

Chris and Becky Buczinski said...

I think we are so blessed that we get to trust the Lord with this election! How awesome that no matter who is the president, he is sovereignly chosen by a God who seeks His own glory. Awesome. I was disappointed that Obama won, but I had to praise God because it was His good plan. Also, it is an exciting time and I am anxious/nervous/excited to see where our country goes.

Definitely lame for ppl to believe the end of the world is coming because Obama won...let's not give the guy that much credit.

Anonymous said...

i'm so proud of you and for sharing so honestly here, sis. and amazed you didn't tell me about your run in with the 5-0. kick some booty on the test!