Saturday, February 23, 2008

It's church up in here

I went to the 6th Annual Black History Month Scholarship Brunch at the UCSD Faculty Club. Let me tell you, soul food is AMAZING. I wouldn't touch the fried catfish but those hush puppies and red beans and rice were the best thing I've tasted in a while. It was fun, lots of gospel choirs and praising the name of Jesus up in that joint. It really made me come home and look for good gospel music on i-tunes.

I also went to the theater to see "The Seven." It was this take on the story of Oedipus and his two sons and the curse he placed on them for locking him away. It wasn't very good but it only cost me $3 so I won't complain.

I've filed my taxes and taking my refund to Japan next month. I'm going to visit my friend Danny who has been teaching there for the last 6 months. I'm super stoked about this...only 27 days until I travel. I haven't gone anywhere in the last year and really am dying to get out of the country. My mom was surprised to learn I have a passport. I don't know why she was surprised. I told her she should get a passport and she said, "why would I ever want to leave the country?" I said, "In case of an emergency, or aliens invade the US and Africa is the only safe place. Or if Hilary becomes president." She laughed. I'm pretty funny.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When your mom said "why would I ever want to leave the country?" I can see you pausing for a second, taking time to look around beautiful downtown Fillmore, and saying "You're right. And give up all this?"

Seriously, tho, Tokyo's gonna rock.

Unknown said...

PS. Thanks for the shout out on my b-day!