This week I had the chance to talk to my dear friend Mel. She's been doing big things with her life, like presenting at conferences and meeting Vice President Biden. She's a big deal. Anyway, I love her and miss her and told her I'd blog. I've had a lot of ideas for posts but never seem to get them from my head to my keyboard and onto the internet. I thought I'd start tonight by telling about my recent trip to Nassau, Bahamas.
The wonderful students I had the joy of spending my week with. They were hilarious, fun, genuine, and caring. It was refreshing for my soul and relational self to be with them. L to R: Samantha, April, Todd, Jackie, Lara, Alyssa, Brian
Nassau was beautiful and it was so fun to get lost downtown and take in another part of the world. I really was there for school, but I was able to have a lot of fun too.It started during the summer, when my Director of Clinical Training (DCT) called me and asked if I wanted to present at this conference (NCSPP). He told me what would be required of me and some of the details. He saved the best part for last: it was in the Bahamas. Duh, who wouldn't say yes? I kind of put it on the back burner for a while since I knew it wasn't until January but once December hit, I couldn't wait to go. I was nervous for many reasons and had so many worries. I wondered if the other students I would be with were going to be nice (my expectations were exceeded here). I wondered why Rosemead would ask me to represent our school on an international stage. I wondered if I would say or do something stupid.
The time came & here is my view from the stage. We presented on the importance of mentoring and safe relationships between faculty and graduate students in professional psychology. It was so empowering for me to be able to do something like this and to do it successfully.
When I got home I had a meeting with my DCT about upcoming practicum applications and placements. We got to talking about NCSPP and the MANY things I learned and took away, like the importance of advocacy, the way we do relationships in graduate training programs, and MAYBE my interest in some day becoming a faculty member at a doctoral training program. That last one is BIG for me. I never wanted to be in academia, but I see the potential impact I could have on future psychology students. Anyway, my DCT told me some of the reasons I had been chosen to go to NCSPP and it was encouraging, uplifting, and just incredibly nice. He talked about my reputation at school and how highly I'm regarded by my peers and faculty. He told me I had wisdom to share with others and an open, graceful way that could impact many. He called me a culture changer and said he believes I will do well in life and in our profession. If you know my DCT, you know what an honor it is to hear him speak so candidly and forthright. All that to say, I think my 3rd year has shaped up to be pretty great. It's weird to think I'm so close to my last year at Rosemead and then I'll head out to collect my hours & return as Dr. Aguilar.




1 comment:
wait- you're not going to be 'dr. alyssa'?!?! :)
so proud of you, chica!
Post a Comment